COMMON CHARTER FAQ’S
Petrel’s most frequently asked questions (Faq’s)
FAQ: What is included with our charter?
- We include a fun filled fishing experience on the water #1.
- Saltwater fishing licenses are covered for the entire group that day.
- A professional mate will assist you every step of the way.
- Instruction if you need it …or just a net if you don’t.
- All equipment: rods, reels, bait tackle, technique and experience.
- Relaxation….just sit back and relax.
- Comfortable Cabin, Private Head (Toilet) and Prep Galley.
- Filleting, skinning, bagging and icing your catch is always included.
- Captains recipes are free. As well as tall stories.
- “Every fish can be delicious…even bluefish”. Yep, that was me.
- Bug Spray in August!
- (We provide a proprietary spray that works ON EVERYTHING!!)
FAQ: What should we bring?
- Rain Gear
- Portable Chargers- We prefer 2B “Screen Free” – So enjoy the view.
- LOTS OF BOTTLED WATER!- Never enough.
- Food and beverages.
- A Small cooler for your fillets, and we will provide the ice.
- Good sneakers or deck shoes! Flip flops & Barefoot…not so good!
- A Cash tip for the mate.. (ATM also on site)
- Mate’s tip? 15-20% is customary.
FAQ: How many fish can we keep?
- We strive to keep fish populations as sustainable as possible.
- Catch and release is always encouraged for what you won’t eat.
- However…… we don’t want you to starve!
- For current Connecticut size and possession limits CLICK HERE
- Not sure which trip/or species is best for you….
- Go old school and call Capt. Greg (9am-9pm) (860)962-0103
FAQ: What is NOT recommended?
- We have plenty of “nightlife” within 100 yrds. walking distance. Leave the hard liquor for later. Stay on land if intoxication is your priority. Uber is a smart option also.
- Beer and Wine is permissible.
- 3 hour Mimosa tours? We have been there thanks to Shel…..!
- Don’t bring drugs on the boat. Why?
- #1 it will terminate your trip and we return to the dock.
- (This includes cannabis: vapes, edibles, shatter) …..you get it.
- Get “high” on fishing.
- If the USCG boards us….you will get arrested..
FAQ: What about Weather?
- Some of our best fishing will occur around a storm front.
- Your safety is always our #1 priority. We know what to look for.
- Rain happens, T-Storms happen, it’s summer in New England folks.
- The weatherman is wrong…. so why don’t they get paid on accuracy?
- We will consult with you if there is a concern.
- Wind is the enemy… but only depending on speed and direction.
- If we call you the night before to recommend rescheduling a trip… there is good reason! Otherwise, we are going!
FAQ: What about sea-sickness?
- We suggest taking an over the counter remedy the night before.
- Dramamine or Bonine work well for some people but not all.
- Stay outside, fresh air with a fresh horizon to watch.
- Coffee and Orange juice are not recommended.
- Seasickness happens. Please “purge” over the side, not inside.
- Here is a great link on motion sickness.
FAQ: What about health issues?
Above all and Most importantly: PLEASE let us know in advance!
We will make sure to accommodate their needs. Please let us know in advance the nature of the issue. Awareness is key.
- Our staff is trained in first aid and CPR in the event of an emergency.
- Any emergencies beyond our scope will result in calling in the Coast Guard for additional support and medical assistance.
FAQ: about Safety Equipment?
- 8-10 certified life preservers with lights on board at all times.
- USCG Night and Day distress signals are always on board.
- 3 Fire extinguishers: inspected and fully charged.
- High water bilge alarm.
- 4 bilge pumps that are tested weekly for functionality.
- 3 radios, 2 Radars, 3 GPS Units, and a 2 compasses.
- We can navigate in fog, storms, heavy seas, and at night.
- If you would like us to demonstrate any safety equipment, ask!
Petrel fishing charters
Charter Fishing Long Island Sound
9 1st Street
Phone: (860) 962 0103